In This Issue
VOLUME 42, ISSUE 2
WYOMING VAN LIFE
Wyoming’s Bighorn Basin offers some of the best trout water in the West . . . if you can get around the grizzlies to fish it.
by Jeff Erickson
WHERE OIL AND WATER MIX
The North Platte flows through Casper and provides endless opportunity for browns and rainbows.
CAST AND DASH
Ice-out at the Laramie Plains lakes means racing from one reservoir to another, shooting for a 30-incher.
There are secrets to be had in thin water.
THE CRICK STICK
The author heads to an overlooked stream with Scott’s new F-Series in-hand.
LIFE. SIMPLIFIED. IN SWEDISH LAPLAND.
At these eco-friendly lodges, it’s not all about the money. Instead, anglers learn about Sami culture and sustainability . . . while targeting big grayling, northern pike, and brown trout.
Inherent difficulties when “guiding” as trade-out.
- OUT THERE Temagami brook trout, Utah’s colorful Diamond Fork, Kamchatka Dollies.
- TRAVEL Slovenia’s elusive and sizable marble trout. —Rasmus Ovensen
- EATS & DRINKS From Alaska to the Yellowstone to the Ozarks and beyond, moonshine has its place. —Ryan Sparks
- FISH DOG Two fish dogs earn their stake at a British Columbia steelhead camp. —Darcy Bacha
- GRASSROOTS The Bighorn River Alliance fights for one of the world’s great trout waters. —Joshua Bergan
- GUIDE FLIES The cranefly may not be easy to fish, but it pays dividends when trout are keyed in on this big bug. —Boots Allen
- HATCHES Prepping for the early-season March brown. —Dave Hughes
- STYLE Edgar Diaz and Sight Line Provisions. —Chris Santella
- CONSERVATION Beavers can be good for trout habitat, but too many of them can be really bad. —Ted Williams
- PERSONAL HISTORY Trash on our streams and the stories it tells. —Dick Donnelly
- DIY: CHROME CULTURE Blue-collar life, blue-collar fish. —Nick DelVecchio
- WATERLINES The author lands an upper Columbia monster under watchful eyes. —Scott Sadil
COVER: Brown trout can grow big on Montana’s Bitterroot River, as evidenced by this solid fish that came to the surface during a sparse, spring hatch of bluewinged olives. Joe Cummings image, montanaflyfishingguide.com