In This Issue
VOLUME FORTY ONE, ISSUE 6
AFTER DARK IN THE KEYS
The night game for giant tarpon.
Ditching the masses for cutthroat and bull trout.
OVERLOOKED & UNDERRATED
Chasing char in Iceland’s Central Highlands.
SMALLMOUTHS & SHIPWRECKS
Way out there for Duck Island’s giant smallmouths.
GRAY SKIES & BLACK ROCKFISH
Base-camping for rockfish and ling on Vancouver Island’s rugged west coast.
- OUT THERE Patagonia trout • Key’s tarpon
- DESTINATION Makos and whites off San Diego. —Michael Love Jr.
- PROFILE A life dedicated to giant trevallies. —Zach Matthews
- HATCHES Midges are easy to tie and take winter trout. —Dave Hughes
- MEDIA Dave Zoby’s Fish Like You Mean It. —Ryan Sparks
- GRASSROOTS Two-thousand-plus kids into fly fishing—and counting. —Joshua Bergan
- GUIDE FLIES Two flashy nymphs that take trout… and whitefish. —Boots Allen
- GATE CHECKED: CLE Fly in. Catch steel. Drink beer. —Robert John Pales
- HISTORY The Devil Bug is still a go-to for modern anglers. —Will Ryan
- PERSONAL HISTORY Confessions of a Middle School Wrestler. —Reid Bryant
- CONSERVATION Atlantics, once again, on the River Tyne. —Chris Santella
- PERSONAL HISTORY Old Trucks and Bull Trout. —Dennis Dauble
- FLY TYER®: WINDING UP MONSTERS Letting kids tie monster flies. —Scott Sanchez
- WATERLINES There’s something about weed… and the fish that swim beneath it. —Scott Sadil
COVER: Randall Johnston trekked into the Idaho backcountry to catch and shoot a beautiful late summer bull trout.